Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Great Tool

Recently, I had the opportunity to sign on with the The Catholic Company Reviewer program. I read about the program at Danielle Bean's website. Once a month or so, we will receive a Catholic book, and we will be able to write a review on our blogs. How fun is that?! I really don't make enough time to read or pray, so I thought this seemed like a great blessing!

My first choice of books was A Pocket Guide to the Bible, by Scott Hahn. I have read some of his and his wife's books and have been to a few of his talks. They are coverts to the Catholic Faith and have amazing testimonies, as well as a great understanding of the Bible and Catholicism. (I also loved the idea that it was a Pocket Guide, so I figured it would be short!)

This little book was everything I hoped it would be, and more! In 79 little pages, A Pocket Guide to the Bible offers a concise and thorough explanation of everything you need to get started reading the Bible, or to further understand how it all goes together. He explains where the Bible came from, how and why Catholic and Protestant Bibles are different, how the Old and New Testaments fit together, and a brief description of each book of the Bible. My absolute favorite section is his "Where to Find..." chapter, in which he gives the reference for all the Bible Stories that I've heard, but don't know where to find, PLUS where so many of the Prayers at Mass can be found in Scripture!

I look forward to keeping it alongside my Bible as I renew my commitment to grow closer to Jesus through His Word.

This review was written as part of The Catholic Company product reviewer program. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on A Pocket Guide to the Bible.

No comments: