Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Home Ec 101

When I was in 7th grade, I opted not to take Home Ec. Why in the world would I need a silly class like that? I was going to be a lawyer, or the President, or something really famous. I had big dreams of doing something grand with my life.

It wasn't until college, I think, that God changed my view of what grand is. Oh, those who know me well, know I'd still like to be hosting a morning talk show somewhere. Some dreams never die. However, God has shown me that I have a chance to change the world right under my own roof. I have a chance to raise up kids that love God and their neighbor.

What I don't have, is a lot of home-making skills. I am not that great of a cook, and I couldn't sew a curtain to save my life. In fact my attempts at sewing on Little Flowers' patches resulted in my husband taking over the patches responsibility for all future patch receiving activities. My girls were not satisfied with this inadequacy. They have their father's creativity, and see the dire need in learning how to make clothes for their stuffed animals. This year for Christmas, Hannah said she would like to learn how to sew from her grandma. So, my sweet mother in law came last week to teach my girls how to sew. Grandma saved the day! She gave me a few lessons as well!


It was terrifying and intimidating. That little needle just bobbing up and down ready to make a fool out of me once I looked at my crooked little seam. And then the thread ran out and I had to re-thread the watcha-ma-call-it. It would have be so much easier to be giving a speech about pro-life issues to an audience of 100's. It was exhilarating though to try something that I thought was beyond me and to open up a new world to me. I am grateful for the lesson and I am grateful that God still loves me enough to help me to grow.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh my gosh, I don't know how to sew either. My girls always hand me their stuff that needs mending and ask if we can mail to Grandma!!

Kimberly said...

Way to go Amy! Start small and work your way up. I taught my Chicks group how to sew simple aprons for their little girls, it was a huge hit (later, they made matching ones for themselves).

Kimberly