Friday, January 8, 2010

Not a Microwave Meal

Even though I have shelves of books that I haven't read in their entirety, I am always looking for new books to read. Even though I am fighting cynicism in my attitude towards life, I guess I am still somewhat of an optimist and think that someday, I will absorb all that knowledge and holiness currently collecting dust! About a year ago I was so excited because I joined a Catholic Book Reviewer Program and was going to start reviewing books monthly! I got through my first two commitments in a somewhat timely fashion, and then I hit a wall. It was a fruit filled wall, but a wall nonetheless. The first 2 books had been really fast reads; a pocket sized edition and a novel. I thought my 3rd choice would be equally fast, because it was described as a "cookbook for life as a Catholic wife and mother" on its back cover.

"Grace Cafe," by Donna-Marie Cooper Boyle is not a cookbook of microwave dinners, but one of 5 course meals. This lovely little gem, was full of wonderful quotes and thoughts that required thought and reflection. The chapters include topics such as a call to holiness, a vocation of love, self giving, and raising saints. It is adorably written with little recipe summary snippets at the end of each chapter. While the theme is quaint, don't let that fool you. Ms. Cooper Boyle writes with such spiritual depth that each page could be studied in and of itself. I wish I had time to read and just sit and ponder each line, each quote, each reference to the Catechism. What a labor of love this work must have been. I finished the book, enjoyed it, and learned more about my faith, but honestly it took me quite some time.




This review was written as part of the Catholic book Reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Grace Cafe.

1 comment:

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Hi, Amy,

What a sweet blog you have here. :)I want to thank you very much for your review of my book Grace Cafe. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it and have been strengthened in your faith because of it.

By the way, I have 5 kids too. :) Please consider submitting your review to Amazon so that others will benefit from your review as well.

May God bless you and your family in great abundance!

Donna-Marie