Friday, August 19, 2011

Opening his Mind

One of the greatest blessings I've received from my dabbling in the home school world, is that my mind was opened to the vast array of resources available to parents. So, to my childrens' delight, every summer I give them opportunities for Summer Enrichment! For my very energetic 9 year old son, I chose the "Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati; Journey to the Summit" and "Alvin's Secret Code." I was trying to elevate his thinking, to open his mind, to expand his horizons beyond "Calvin and Hobbes." He was less than thrilled with these selections and thought he was going to get out of reading them if he just put it off long enough. He was incorrect. School starts on Tuesday and he was told that if he didn't finish them he would get to bring them to school for reading time. To his surprise, he actually liked the story of young Blessed Pier, so I thought he would love the next book too which is a story about secret messages.
It is amazing how fast he has read a book he has little interest in. I am sure the comprehension would not be impressive. Tonight as his dad tucked him in, he said he was almost finished with the book Mom was making him read and then he can move to "Killer Pizza!" Sigh.

No comments: