Thursday, October 8, 2009

Standing in the Gap

A few weeks ago, kids around the nation met at their schools' flagpoles for prayer. In our city, we were so blessed to have our 3 priests attend a "Meet Me at the Pole" at each of our high schools.

I picked Josh up early from swim practice where he was razzed a little for leaving early to go pray. One swimmer asked how could he believe in God with all the bad stuff that happens. One really close friend of his decided not to go with him.

When we got to the school, no one was there. We waited in the car and I started to understand that this small act, this decision, was not easy. He was a 14 year old boy, making a stand for Christ in a world, that by and large believes in God, but has a harder time actually saying it. Understanding his uneasiness and kind of wanting to let him off the hook, I gently said, "Just remember Who you are standing up for." We sat for a few minutes and then an upperclassman "saint" came up carrying his guitar. That was all my son, my young man, needed. He said goodbye and was out the door. I watched for a few minutes as the priest came to stand with the kids, so that they wouldn't have to stand alone. I watched as slowly but surely more and more teenagers came to gather, to pray, to stand for Christ. In an instance, I was filled with hope and joy and peace. I caught a glimpse of God melting and molding the future of this country. I was privy to witness sweet, pure faith. I saw the Body of Christ grow stronger and give courage to each of His members. The battles are hard, to be sure. And those beautiful young people will be tried and tested. But we can never forget that the war has already been won.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Yea for Josh - your post gave me goose bumps!!

Lynn said...

What a beautiful post, Amy!! Good for Josh!!