Friday, September 5, 2008

Roller Coaster Ride

My girls have been wanting, begging, pleading for a dog for years. They have done great amounts of research and have been fully prepared to take on all doggie duties, including pooper scooper duties. The boys have wanted a dog too, but with no where near the same amount of passion. I am not really a dog person. I like them ok from a far. (Very far.)

Well, as it happens an opportunity came knocking, and a 4 year old black lab, Molly, needed a home. We don't have any babies on the way, Sophia will be 3 next month, and the girls are incredibly responsible, so why not? But, I made it clear, she would be an outside dog. Sophia has enough accidents as it is, I cannot add a dog to the mix.

So on Monday, my 36th birthday, all my dreams came true.




Ok, actually, to see the smiles on their faces and to know that their dreams had come true, was a really great way to celebrate my growing closer to 40. The kids, even Josh, were up and ready by 6:30 AM so that they could have some time with her before school. Even Omar and I found that our hearts were quickly growing fond of this sweet and loving dog.


Well, the roller coaster was just getting started. At her well check, we got the horrible news that Molly had heart worms. Thankfully the kids were at school and Omar was home, so we had time to sort through every possible solution to the problem. Treatment is very expensive, and then for at least a month, the dog has to be in the air condition and has to remain very still. This seemed to be a deal breaker for me. I know some of you animal people will be mortified by my attitude, but that just seemed more than I could handle. God helped us come up with a plan. My step mom found a Lab Rescue that would be able to do the treatment, at a fraction of the cost, and then she offered to care for Molly at the kennel that she owns until she is better. God bless NaNa!

So, when my kids came home we had to share with them that Molly is sick, but there is great hope that she will be ok. Again, I say, we are so grateful to NaNa for helping us out with her. I will keep you posted on her recovery. (I know there are far greater things to pray for these days, but I will still ask, please say a little prayer for our dog.)

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I am glad Molly will be taken care of. We got a cat last year, then discovered Christina was alllergic :-). So Toby had to find a new home.
I want to get a dog when Gabriel starts school, then I'll still have a baby at home (lol).

Tammy said...

Oh my gosh Amy - you and I have the same kinda thinking on dogs!! My kids have been begging for awhile (as has Andy!!!) I told them when Brandon was about 3 and if we weren't having another baby. We would get a dog. Keep me updated on how it works out for you. That way I'll know if I should keep my promise!! :) I hope Molly gets better soon!

Katie said...

I'll say a prayer for your dog. Our dog that "found us" had them as well~it's not too bad. I enjoy your blog~thanks for letting me be a lurker;)